A little more than 130 years ago a group of Swedish immigrants in Buffalo started a Lutheran congregation so they could worship in the heritage of their homeland. They built the first church in 1888 on Spring Street. In about 1912, the congregation constructed a new church on West Utica at Chenango, and the present church on Eggert Road was dedicated in 1957. They chose the name "Augustana" to honor their roots in the Lutheran Church going back to the Augsburg Confession of 1530.
The stained glass windows in the sanctuary were added in the late 1990’s. They highlight stories in the Bible and illustrate the sacraments of baptism and communion. The windows were designed by Valerie O’Hara at Pike Stained Glass Studios in Rochester, NY.
What We Believe
The Lutheran Church confesses the Triune God, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit and Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior. The Gospel is the power of God for the salvation of all who believe. Jesus Christ is the Word of God incarnate, through whom everything was made and through whose life, death, and resurrection God fashions a new creation.
The Holy Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments are the written Word of God. Inspired by God's Spirit speaking through their authors, they record and announce God's revelation centering in Jesus Christ. Through them God's Spirit speaks to us to create and sustain Christian faith and fellowship for service in the world
We stand on the long history of the Protestant Reformation and deal with the modern world and its people out of a response to God's unfailing love and mercy.